“Caring for Seniors” with Sara DeMars from Neuro PT

Each week on “Caring for Seniors,” our hosts sit down with those who are hard at work in the community, making sure our elders are properly cared for. This week, David Stieglitz and Adrienne Houghton talk to Sara DeMars from Neuro PT.

Neuro PT offers the convenience, and accessibility, of a physical therapist providing direct 1 to 1 care for yourself or your loved one.

To learn more, visit https://neurogoals.com.

Short Company Description: I provide mobile in-home physical therapy. I help adults with neurologic conditions, or vertigo, resume the activities that bring them joy.

Give a brief description on what you would like to discuss on the show.: The importance of movement quality to prevent altered walking pattern and to reinforce the right habits to maintain and improve function. The need to pinpoint the balance impairment in order to give a tailored balance training program to prevent falls.

What makes your company unique?: I’m a solo practitioner. I don’t work within the confines of the medical insurance world. I develop a plan of care, in conjunction with my client, to achieve their specific functional goals.

How did you get your start in the industry?: I was a physical therapist for 10 years before starting my own business. I’ve seen the frustration of patients, and healthcare practitioners alike, with aspects of our healthcare system, such as not being able to see the same healthcare provider consecutively, limited available appointment slots, and the sudden discharge from therapy services. I wanted to develop a framework that would prevent those frustrations and actually allow the patient to improve and increase their quality of life.

How is your business handling the COVID situation?: I take COVID very seriously. Personal protective equipment, handwashing, and sanitizing is followed according to CDC guidelines. Protecting my clients, especially older individuals, is my top priority.

What advice would you give to someone just getting their start in the industry?: Just because everyone seems to be doing something a particular way, doesn’t mean you have to follow it. Providing the best patient care and customer experience will go a long way in your success. Also developing deep relationships with your clients will help guide finding your clients needs and how your business will meet those needs.

What’s your favorite way to get involved in the community?: I have 3 young children and I like to give back to their school. I also like to volunteer at the food bank.