“Caring for Seniors” with Kandice Jacobs Robinson from Kandice Jacobs Creations

Each week on “Caring for Seniors,” our hosts sit down with those who are hard at work in the community, making sure our elders are properly cared for. This week, David Stieglitz and Adrienne Houghton talk to Kandice Jacobs Robinson from Kandice Jacobs Creations.

Kandice Jacobs Creations provides end-of-life care and pre-planning advisory services, as well as self-care and empowerment products, to treat the emotional discomfort associated with making such overwhelming decisions.

To learn more, visit oasisjax.com.

Short Company Description: Kandice Jacobs Creations provides end-of-life care and pre-planning advisory services, as well as self-care and empowerment products, to treat the emotional discomfort associated with making such overwhelming decisions. I have chosen to turn my own painful experiences of loss & caregiving journey of the past five years into passionate pursuit of purpose and fulfillment of my calling to, “Equip the chronically ill, caregivers and the bereaved to still live life abundantly & leave a lasting legacy.” One way KJC has successfully delivered value, for the past five years – to this far too-often forgotten target group – is our annual life-planning conference. At this comprehensive conference, slated for Oct. 7th – 9th, industry professionals – through workshops and a panel discussion – address such topics as: dementia education, caregiver and grief support, elder care legal matters, life insurance, funeral pre-planning, and more. Having a business model based on social entrepreneurship, we are actively engaged in disrupting the at-need only approach to end-of-life care and pre-planning decisions and creating a supportive infrastructure for the chronically ill, caregivers and grieving families. Therefore in Feb. 2020, as CEO of KJC, I joined Dr. Philip Tipton, neurologist – as co-host of Long Live the Brains Podcast which gives its followers a 360 degree look at what neurodegenerative diseases are and how they affect the lives of patients and their loved ones. Finally, later this summer, KJC looks forward to expanding upon our Lasting Legacies Care Package — branded by color, to bring awareness to specific illnesses and to uplift the 53 million U.S. caregivers, the chronically ill and bereaved.

Give a brief description on what you would like to discuss on the show.: I am happy to discuss the importance of making end-of-life care & pre-planning decisions prior to the advent of life-limiting or terminal illness or any myriad of other subtopics relevant to caregivers of those living with dementia & Alzheimer’s disease (e.g., specific challenges relevant to Sandwich Generation caregivers and how to overcome them — as July is Sandwich Generation Month; approaching senior loved ones you suspect to have developed dementia; self care for the caregiver and practical tips for addressing such mental health challenges as caregiver burnout and anticipatory grief, etc.)

What makes your company unique?: I am a Florida licensed funeral director & embalmer, military spouse, mother and caregiver for my father, who is living with dementia. As a result, I am a bonafide member of the Sandwich Generation. Thus, I am my consumer. Because I am intimately acquainted with the lifestyle, needs and challenges unique to caregivers, five years ago I launched Kandice Jacobs Creations (KJC), through which I have developed the Lasting Legacies program & product suite — a suite of programs and products aimed at practically & meaningfully meeting the specific needs of caregivers, the ill & bereaved.

How did you get your start in the industry?: Following completion of my formal education & specialized training in mortuary school, I got my start in the end-of-life care (most specifically death care) & pre-planning industry via my internship with Ponte Vedra Valley Funeral Home, Cemetery & Cremation Center in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL. The start of my work in caregiver advocacy began with my work with The Walk To End Alzheimer’s.
How is your business handling the COVID situation?: Last October, instead of cancelling our 4th annual Lasting Legacies Life-Planning Conference, we took this event virtual understanding the absolute vital importance of addressing end-of-life care and pre-planning topics during the height of the pandemic. Then, earlier this year, KJC relaunched its Lasting Legacies Blog with a special series, to meaningfully address the grief of the masses — who have been left reeling from the onslaught of deeply, personal losses over this past year of the COVID-19 pandemic. This October, we are planning a hybrid event for our annual life-planning conference.

What advice would you give to someone just getting their start in the industry?: I would advise becoming as educated about this industry and the unique population it serves as possible — from formal training and education, to staying abreast of current events and related topics, and volunteering with organizations such those represented within The Caregiver Coalition of Northeast Florida.

What’s your favorite way to get involved in the community?: I currently serve as a caregiver advocate with The Caregiver Coalition of Northeast Florida (formerly known as The Dementia Care & Cure Initiative Task Force under the leadership of the Florida Department of Elder Affairs & ElderSource). In addition, I have made myself available to present talks on end-of-life care and pre-planning in conjunction with Community Hospice faith-based initiatives and at the specific invitation of various faith-based groups. Each year, I look forward to raising money for The Alzheimer’s Association and serving as co-captain of our Walk To End Alzheimer’s Team — Team Memory Warriorz. For two of the years I’ve participated, I’ve been blessed to have my father walk with me. Finally, I have been actively involved in working with youth through my local congregation for the past 20 years.