“Caring for Seniors” with Katelyn Wildes from Brooks Rehab

Each week on “Caring for Seniors,” our hosts sit down with those who are hard at work in the community, making sure our elders are properly cared for. This week, David Stieglitz and Adrienne Houghton talk to Katelyn Wildes from Brooks Rehab.

Brooks approaches patient care from an interdisciplinary team approach, providing excellence in care both inpatient and as they transition into the community.

To learn more, visit https://oasisjax.com.

Give a brief description on what you would like to discuss on the show.: I would like to bring new knowledge into the segment! I want to contribute something that is useful to listeners (both in and out of the healthcare field). My experience is unique to short term and long term rehab /SNF. and I have worked with a variety of patients over the last 3 years. I am also currently an MSW student at UNF, and will be interning in the fall at Brooks Brain Injury Clubhouse.

What makes your company unique?: Brooks offers services that go beyond acute care. The aphasia center, brain injury center, Neuro Recovery Center, and various other outpatient programs help to ensure that the patient feels cared for in the community. We never want a patient to discharge from the hospital or rehab and then feel that they are left without resources. Continuation of care is a huge part of what we do.

How did you get your start in the industry?: As an undergrad social work student at UNF, I interned with Brooks Bartram Crossing in May 2018 and transitioned into my role as a case manager following the internship. I have now been a Brooks Case Manager for 3 years.

How is your business handling the COVID situation?: Continuing to provide excellent patient care and keeping ourselves informed. As CDC guidelines are constantly changing, we must pivot accordingly and become adaptable to any situation that comes our way.

What advice would you give to someone just getting their start in the industry?: Be flexible! Healthcare is always changing. You must be willing to accept new knowledge, learn new practices and adapt.

What’s your favorite way to get involved in the community?: Brooks gives many opportunities for community service and outreach. I like to volunteer with Brooks Adaptive Sports, and Brooks UC is currently putting together a team for the Heart Walk.