“Caring for Seniors” with Kris Wilson from Modified Independence Evaluations

Each week on “Caring for Seniors,” our hosts sit down with those who are hard at work in the community, making sure our elders are properly cared for. This week, David Stieglitz and Adrienne Houghton talk to Kris Wilson from Modified Independence Evaluations.

Modified Independence Evaluations specializes in home safety consultations and modifications for the elderly and disabled to promote safety, function, and successful aging in place.

To learn more, visit https://www.oasisjax.com.

Short Company Description: Specializing in home safety consultations and modifications for the elderly and disabled to promote safety, function, and successful aging in place. My consultations are in-home based and focus on modifying the home to prevent falls in an effort to decrease burden of care on family / friends and risk of having to live in assisted living.

Give a brief description on what you would like to discuss on the show.: Promoting my business and networking with like-minded individuals / referral sources.

What makes your company unique?: I am one of 3 Occupational Therapists in the area who specialize in home safety consultations by applying my 15 years of expert experience helping people remain safe and independent in their home. Many times people consult with a contractor who doesn’t have the clinical understanding of what is needed and just modify whatever the client is concerned with.

How did you get your start in the industry?: 10 years as a home health Occupational Therapist working with the bare minimum of medical equipment supplied by insurance companies.

How is your business handling the COVID situation?: I am fully vaccinated and willing to wear a mask whenever in the home. My consultations do not include touching the client or doing any therapy interventions, just consulting on changes to the home to promote safety.

What advice would you give to someone just getting their start in the industry?: Learn what resources are available and how they can be applied to the situation

What’s your favorite way to get involved in the community?: I like to find ways to relocate resources that promote safety and function from unused sources to locations where they are needed even if they cannot afford my services. I am given and find durable medical equipment at yard sales all the time and love to be able to give that away to people who are in need and cannot afford them.