“Explore the Spectrum” with Anita McManus from Discovery Toys

Each week on Explore the Spectrum, our host Jeanetta Bryant discusses the latest news and developments related to autism, as well as providing expert insights and advice to our audience. Be ready for anything by listening to what these insiders have to say. This week, Jeanetta speaks with Anita McManus from Discovery Toys.

Short company description:

Discovery Toys are high quality, educational toys, books and games for all ages with all levels of abilities! Our toys have won many awards including being selected for the Autism Live toy guide. Play is fundamentally important for children to learn skills critical for their development and success.

What Is Your Why (Why Are You In Business)?

I want to help provide parents and families with toys that are hands on and layered with learning. Hands on toys are so important for children to learn the skills they need as they grow and develop especially in this day of screen time and over stimulation! I feel Discovery Toys provides the most outstanding play essentials and I want to help make sure children get the right toys at the right time.

How did you get started in your field or work?

I joined Discovery Toys 5 years ago when I was looking for a flexible part time job that would allow me to work from home. I chose Discovery Toys because I had purchased these toys over 25 years ago for my children and these were the toys I saved for my grandchildren to play with!

What’s one thing we should know that makes your company unique?

Our company offers a lifetime guarantee on most of our products if they break under normal wear and tear.

What are your biggest goals in the next 6 to 12 Months for your business?

I plan to market Discovery Toys through Linked in to therapist and communities that work with autism and special needs families.

Who do you know that is impacted by Autism and how has that impacted you?

My cousins son who is almost 30 now has Asperger’s and I know his parents struggled a lot with getting him the right help he needed. I also have a young friend who has a child with autism. It has sparked a passion in me that I know Discovery Toys can benefit these children and families if we could just get them into their hands early!