“Explore The Spectrum” with Author, Michael Goodroe

Michael Goodroe
Author of What Autism Gave Me: The Book
Website Address: https://facebook.com/whatautismgaveme

Each week on Explore the Spectrum, our host Jeanetta Bryant discusses the latest news and developments related to autism, as well as providing expert insights and advice to our audience. Be ready for anything by listening to what these insiders have to say. This week, Jeanetta speaks with Author, Michael Goodroe.

To learn more, visit https://facebook.com/whatautismgaveme.

Short company description:

Motivational Speaker sharing my story. As a young child, it was obvious something was wrong with Michael. He lacked basic motor skills and was unable to follow simple instructions or answer questions. Testing revealed a diagnosis of autism with a low IQ. Experts insisted that leading an independent life would be impossible for him…and school was not an option. Supported by documentation and interviews, Michael’s heartfelt memoir traces the sustained challenges and turbulent journey he faced. His life was plagued by failures, negative results, rejections from schools, an inability to complete simple karate moves or participate in activities-all of which confirmed the hopeless situation. But Michael was surrounded by support, and he was encouraged to keep trying no matter how many times he failed. Developmental progress was not always obvious, but Michael was finding his own unique path. What Autism Gave Me is a powerful reminder that the human drive to succeed is stronger than any diagnosis.

What Is Your Why (Why Are You In Business)?

To give people hope that they are more than their diagnosis.

How did you get started in your field or work?

I was invited to share my journey and encouraged to publish my journey.

What’s one thing we should know that makes your company unique?

My book shares all my testing so readers have objective data to follow my journey. Testing never showed that I could overcome my challengs and written reports confirmed that the experts did not believe I could learn.

What are your biggest goals in the next 6 to 12 Months for your business?

Continue to share my story to help others.

Who do you know that is impacted by Autism and how has that impacted you?

My family was impacted by autism and had to fight to find opportunities for me. I was diagnosed in 1992 when autism was about 1 in 2000 so a lot has changed since I was growing up.