“Explore The Spectrum” with Julie Hornok from Labeled and Loved

Julie Hornok
Co-Founder & President at Labeled and Loved
Website Address: https://www.labeledandloved.org, https://www.juliehornok.com

Short company description:

Labeled and Loved provides community-building opportunities for moms of kids with disabilities (any age, any diagnosis) through online and in-person connective experiences.

What Is Your Why (Why Are You In Business)?

I feel called to do this work. I want to create something that will ensure that if my kids or grandkids are ever faced with the diagnosis of a child, they would have an immediate support system that gently and lovingly walked them through the process of accepting and thriving in the midst of a different version of parenthood.

How did you get started in your field or work?

My daughter Lizzie was diagnosed with autism days after her second birthday. I had an incredible support system and want to ensure every mom who receives a diagnosis for her child is given this too.

What’s one thing we should know that makes your company unique?

We care for the caretaker. As a mother, it is our nature to care for the ones we love first before recognizing our own needs. For those who have children with disabilities, the daily demand is so great that it often takes complete burnout before we realize caring for ourselves is actually caring for our family. At Labeled and Loved, we provide beautiful, carefully crafted spaces that allow the mom to heal and gain ongoing support through community.

What are your biggest goals in the next 6 to 12 Months for your business?

We are piloting our already successul virtual Sisterhood Circles in-person in 4 cities this year. I can’t wait to make these support circles for moms available across the nation.

Who do you know that is impacted by Autism and how has that impacted you?

I have had the honor of interviewing families living with autism all over the world. I am always blown away by the hard work and perserverance I see in those with an autism diagnosis. I met a boy who had no ability to communicate until he found typing at the age of 12. He now shares his profound thoughts with the world. I met a boy who didn’t talk until he was six and was in special ed all the way through high school. He now has a college education, drives and is happily employed. My daughter was deeply affected as a young child and has surpassed every expectation put on her. I am so incredibly proud of the beautiful person she is and of the beautiful life she has built for herself.